Young People

Home » Who We Help » Young People

We’ll help you to get ahead

If you’re a young person and things aren’t working out, Family Works is here to support you and to ensure that you access the assistance that you need. You’re in the right place to find out about the Youth Service, Youth Payment and Young Parent Payment.


Frequently asked questions

What documentation do I need to apply for the Youth or Young Parent Payment?

You’ll need a few pieces of documentation you’ll need when you first meet your Youth Service Youth Coach:

  • 2 forms of ID: Birth Certificate, passport, drivers licence, residency.
  • Verification of Bank Account: A document from the bank showing your name, address, and account number.
  • IRD Verification/or IRD Number.
  • Confirmation of any education you are currently attending.
  • Payslip (if you have a job).

You will need these things when you meet with your Youth Coach for the first time.

What happens once I’ve applied for the Youth or Young Parent Payment?

Two things will happen once you’ve submitted your Youth Payment or Young Parent Payment application:

  1. You’ll receive a phone call from Work and Income. This is called a ‘screening’ call.
  2. Work and Income will call you to arrange for a ‘Family Breakdown Assessment’. This a face to face meeting.

Screening call:

Work and Income will call you within 3 working days of your submission. If you haven’t received a call in this time, give them a call on 0800 559 009 and ask for Youth Payment or Young Parent Payment ‘screening’. If that feels a bit much, give us a call or drop in to one of our service centres and we’ll help you.

Once you’ve had your call with Work and Income, they’ll refer you to us (or your nearest Youth Service team) and we’ll introduce you to your Youth Coach.

Family Breakdown Assessment:

An organisation called Life Unlimited will carry out your Family Breakdown Assessment. It is essential that you attend this appointment – and that you prepare for it. You will need to be able to discuss in detail why you need financial assistance. You can take a support person to this appointment.

Remember – the youth team at Family Works can help support you through the application process (even if it turns out that you are not eligible). Come and see us, if you are feeling in any way confused. We’re here to help!

How do I apply for the Youth or Young Parent Payment?

You can apply for the Youth Payment and Young Parent Payment online. There are a few things you’ll need to have handy before you do.
Before you log on, make sure you have these things handy:

  1. A personal cell phone number so that you receive texts and phone calls,
  2. Your bank account number,
  3. Your IRD Number  (if you don’t have an IRD number, call them on 0800 223 773 to set one up).

Once you have these items, log on to Work and Income’s online application.

You’re ready to apply!

If you don’t have some of the above items – or you’re simply feeling a bit confused – you can drop into a Family Works Youth Service Centre for help with your application.

mentoring young female smiling under blossom trees

Read how we've helped A Hand Up

Nita was benefited by a mentor-figure through adolescence, now she has the opportunity to do the same for a pre-teen through Presbyterian Support.

Read more