Help for young mums and dads
The Young Parent Payment is made by the Ministry of Social Development. If you’re between 16 and 18 years old, have dependent children and need help financially, you may be eligible for the Young Parent Payment.
The Young Parent Payment is more than just money. When you receive it you’ll also have access to the Youth Service – a support system designed for young people and young parents, to help you plan for a brighter, more independent future for you and your child.
Family Works runs the Youth Service in the upper South Island. We can answer any of your questions and help you to apply for the Young Parent Payment and any other assistance you’re entitled to.
Who is eligible?
Below are three examples of situations when a young parent would qualify for the Young Parent Payment:
- 16 or 17 year olds, living with a parent or guardian when the parent/guardian qualifies for the Family Tax Credit.
- 16 or 17 year olds who can’t live with their parents or guardians and have no other means of financial support.
- 18 year olds who have no partner.
The Family Works Youth Service team will support you to:
- Complete your Young Parent Payment applications.
- Receive the assistance to which you’re entitled.
- Better manage your money.
- Assess – and access, education options.
- Stay healthy and well.
- Be the parent you’d like to be.
We’ll also be your advocate – making sure that you receive the assistance that you’re entitled to.
How does the Young Parent Payment work?
- It is a weekly payment from Work and Income.
- You receive a mixture of: cash; top ups on a Personal Payment Card; and direct payments (like rent or board) to service providers.
- If your living costs are high you may be eligible for extra assistance.
- Your Personal Payment Card is a debit card. You use it to buy things like food from approved stores.
- You’ll agree to certain responsibilities when you sign up for the Youth Payment. These include: attending a budgeting course; creating a plan for your future; and working on furthering your education. Your Youth Coach will support you in all of these things.
- The bonus for meeting your obligations is extra cash – up to $30 per week more.
Where to start?
Your first step is to get in touch! We’ll help you work out whether or not you are eligible for the Young Parent Payment, and make sure you get the support that you need:
- Drop in to one of the Service Centres listed below.
- Contact us via this website.